Software apps and online services
Hand tools and fabrication machines
This project was part of the Lane Tech HS Physical Computing Lab course. I created this project as part of the Visualizing Data project.Summary
This projects job is to read the value of the Nintendo stock price and then move Mario up and down a flagpole based on how low or high the stock price is.
Pictured below is the final prototype:
I first started by setting up my wiring and connecting the wires from the servo to the bread board which includes the Particle argon. The set up looks like the following:
The Api I decided to use was Yahoo Finances under RapidAPI (https://rapidapi.com/apidojo/api/yahoo-finance1). In order to receive a key for the API you need to make an account and subscribe for free. You can receive the key before you subscribe but you must subscribe in order for the API to access the web hook.
To set up the Webhook in Particle, find your Particle console and look for the integrations tab on the left (should kinda look like a 5 legged spider). Create a new integration, select Webhook and fill out the following:
After this click advance settings and set queery parameters to custom and enter the following:
Now press save and boom! now you have a working Webhook connected to the API. Just to make sure though, your custom template should look like this:
Well because in stuck inside, all I really had to work with for materials was whatever was laying around the house and what I was able to find in my dads workshop. I wanted to make it as similar as possible to the one in the video game so for a base I used a empty can of peanuts and the pole is made out of PVC Pipe(Note: don't use PVC pipe, it was such a hassle to work with bc of how thick it was but it was all I had).
I started by cutting/creating the base of the flagpole by cutting a circle through the center of the lid. Do NOT cut the circle bigger than the circumference of the pipe, it messes up everything. After that cut out a small hole at the bottom of the lid so wires can pass through to access the Servo inside.
Now the servo I bought didn't come with an add on to allow me to attach rope to it. So I improvised and took two thumb tacks and made this.
The real secret of this project is all in the PVC. Inside the PVC is a pulley system that looks like this:
From a side however, the side that there is Mario, there is a giant slit in the pipe in order to connect the pulley to Mario so he can move up and down the pipe. The slit I made by
Connecting the Pipe and the Base
In oder to connect the two together, I used super/gorilla glue which works pretty well and gets the job done(pictured below). However, If you are planning on having the pipe be tall, I recommend having a larger base almost like a cup holder/sleeve to hold the pipe in place causing it to not tilt to the left or right. I didn't have time to add it but it is something I defiantly recommend in order to add reinforcement.