Using particle argons alongside IFTTT we were able to have an alert sent to our phone to tell us that a door had been opened. The alarm works using three different breadboard circuits all communicating with one another and with IFTTT to send a notification when the door it is connected to is opened thus creating a simple, cheap and effective security system.
The idea came to us after hearing about all the safety concerns on campus and deciding we needed a cheap alternative to a home security system.
How it works is using three breadboard circuits each with their own task. The first being the laser emitting circuit and using a laser emitting diode will function with the laser receiving circuit, consisting of a photo resistor, and led which will function with the third circuit, the alarm circuit which will then communicate with IFTTT to import the data it receives into a Google spreadsheet and to send the notification to the cellular device.
Laser Emitting Circuit
- Attach particle argon device to breadboard and connect to power source
- Attach laser emitter to other breadboard
- Plug jumper wire to a digital write pin of the particle argon device and jump to the positive power rail
- Jump wire from the positive power rail to one of the outside pins of the laser emitter
- Plug jumper wire to the ground of the particle argon device and connect to the negative power rail
- Jump wire from the negative power rail to the middle pin of the laser emitter
Laser Receiving Circuit
- Connect Particle Argon to breadboard and connect it to its power source
- Attach laser receiver to other breadboard
- Attach jumper wire to a digital write pin on the particle Argon device and jump this to the positive power rail of the breadboard
- Jump wire that is coming from the positive power rail to one of the outside pins of the laser receiver
- Plug jumper wire to the ground of the particle argon device and connect it to the negative power rail of the breadboard
- Jump wire from the negative power rail to the middle pin of the laser receiver
Data Acquisition Circuit
- Get breadboard
- Setup Argon to Particle app
- Place now connected Argon on breadboard making sure the Argon device is securely fashioned to breadboard